Metcalfe transformed a non-descript corridor into a 1,000 square foot permanent gallery honoring Gilroy Roberts, the ninth Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint (1948 to 1964). The new gallery wraps the rotunda of an extraordinary beaux arts building that housed the Third United States Mint from 1901 to 1969. The Community College of Philadelphia (CCP) acquired the building in 1971, and sought to celebrate the building’s history and those who worked there. The gallery hosts temporary exhibitions of interest to the college community.
We also designed the gallery’s inaugural exhibition, “Gilroy Roberts: Mastering a Craft,” in collaboration with exhibit planner Habithèque. The exhibition sheds light on Roberts’ creative process and displays important examples of his work, including the celebrated Kennedy half-dollar. It features multimedia components (digital and hands-on) and a recreation of Roberts’ studio.